On the photograph of the painting there is an area with a partially readable hand-written text in Latin letters.
Photograph of the painting with a partially readable hand-written text
Considering the following facts
1. Features of Leonardo Da Vinci's handwriting - from right to left (mirror-writing);
2. Defining characteristics of letters and their elements (private signs of handwriting) occur when writing- and motor skills are developing and can be seen in any kinds of written records made by this particular person;
The comparative analysis was carried out on the mirror reflection of this hand-written text in the photograph of the area of the painting.
Mirror reflection of this hand-written text in the photograph
|Handwriting in a mirror reflection of Leonardo da Vinci|
A comparative research of the available general and private signs of the handwriting in a mirror reflection of the hand-written text in the picture and features of Leonardo Da Vinci's mirror-writing revealed coincidences in some general (slant, connectivity, form of the baseline), and also the following private signs of handwriting:
1. Extension of motion while writing the right element of a letter – increased vertically;
2. Mode of motion while writing: an arc-shaped upper part of the right element of a letter;
3. Type of motion connection while writing elements of a letter – with intervals;
4. Mode of motion while writing the lower element of a letter – arc-shaped;
5. Direction of motion while writing the final part of the right element of a letter - from right to left from the bottom up;
6. Extension of motion while writing the right element of a letter – increased vertically;
7. Stroke thickening in the lower part of a letter.
8. Motion placement while writing the letter “o”- both the starting point and the end and are located at the top;
9. Number of motions while writing the letter "T" is increased, because of the additional stroke in the left part of the horizontal element
10. Mode of motion while writing the left element – curvy;
11. Mode of motion while writing the right element – arc-shaped;
Together with coincidences, distinctions are certain general and private signs, including those which can be explained by different conditions of writing, and also by a limited number of the presented samples (the distinctive signs which can be explained, are marked in the photograph in blue) are noted. A combination of the established matching signs of the handwriting allows us to draw a conclusion that the hand-written text in the painting whose photo image is presented for the research was written by Leonardo Da Vinci.